Friday 4 February 2011

Is everyone standing on a hypothetical POLITICAL DIVIDE? Yes, No, It may be so


on my way home from work last night (16/07/2009), I was stopped by three boys about the ages of 8 - 11 years. Needing instant arbitration about the subject in a heated argument.They hand signalled me to a stop. My ipod was hot wired to my brain inducing a feeling of the renewed mental energy needed to make the 45 minute walk home bearable. I stopped, unplugged the earphones, turned off the music ready for what was going to be required of me. Was it going to be about the merits of Newtons Law on Relativity, the effects of the yo-yoing world price of Crude Oil on developing economies or perhaps Government policy on education... or some other really intellectual discourse.
So all poised and composed, I got myself ready for what was coming. Sir, Attah-Mills and Nana Akuffo-Addo; Who is richer/wealthier? Prepared as I was, I could not anticipate this question that hit me like sucker punch to the Solar plexus, winding me in the process.
On partial recovery I recomposed myself to give them an answer that will satisfy their curiosity at the same time availing myself to this test.Using my own street consciousness technique, I turned the challenge to them asking why is was such a big deal to them.
Secondly, what does it matter who was richer if any of their so called wealth does not benefit any of them.
Thirdly, wont it be worth your while worrying about going to school, doing very well and hoping that one day you would be a President of Ghana and perhaps be the one to take us to the proverbial promised land? A point which they all agreed with and walked along together home still trying not to re-ignite the dying embers of a worthwhile argument (in their minds) obviously half satisfied about the outcome. How else could I have explained this to them? Obviously they might have heard this argument somewhere and were satisfying their curiosities about the world around them by exploring their democratic right to engage in this discourse. I for one cannot remember having any such political nous when I was their age and left with an admiration of their convictions about where they stood on the political divide all be it on a flawed subject.
To be continued… yes yes yes I know…

No comments:

Post a Comment