Tuesday 14 July 2009

A WEEKEND WITH THE OBAMAS




This weekend became a very important one in my life. Besides getting over the inconvenience of being stuck in traffic all morning on Saturday hence missing my tennis game. But I think President Barack Obama's visit made it all forgetable and forgivable; something I never did for George Bush last year. I had had my take on this visit from last wednesday after theorising about the links between Ghana and the American Civil Rights Movement. Suprisingly no one dared listen to me, but rather constantly asking about what gifts did Santa come bearing. Have we as Africans lost our dignity to the point of forgetting our traditional ways of welcome accorded to important people? I hope we have not. President Barack Obama truly came and told us off besides praising us and the people who should have taken more heed were the politicians in whose hands extreme and absolute power rests. At the end they were climbing all over each other having forgotten the recently delivered message to shake the brother's hand. I was truly priviledged to listen to him on all the platforms accorded and not ashamed as an African man to admit the tears that welled in my eyes all weekend listening and watching reruns of this very historic moment. to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment